Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In a Bind by Francesca Hawley

When I wrote Controlling Interest for the 1-800-DOM-help series, I didn't know I was going to be writing a scene about Japanese rope bondage, also known as kinbaku or in the west, shibari.

I'm a pantser, which means I write by the seat of my pants. I knew as I got to the end of the story I needed to have a really intimate scene between my hero and heroine, but it was only as I got to that point in the story that I realized I wanted to use rope bondage as a vehicle to express the trust between my hero and heroine and their growing intimacy with one another.

And this is something that requires a LOT of trust. The top binds the bottom using a series of knots and wraps that renders the submissive helpless. Doing this rope work takes time and the full cooperation of the submissive who is being tied. And it just happens to be mega hot.

Since I was fairly new to the topic, I relied on the tried and true method of learning more...research. I found several books about rope bondage including The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage by Midori. This books is detailed, informative and just plain cool. To complete the package, it's also beautifully photographed by Craig Morey. The descriptions of the different tying techniques were clear enough that even I could understand how the knots should be completed. I can't say enough about this book. 

I also used two books by the Two Knotty Boys titled Showing You the Ropes and Back on the Ropes. Both of these books are really super. There are step by step photographs in both of these books. The first book features black and white photos, but book two - Back on the Ropes - features color photos. I have to admit I like color photos better. But all the images provide great detail for the rope bondage beginner. And they let the beginner increase their skills with more complicated ties.

Using the books were really helpful to my research for writing this scene. I also found one video about rope bondage called, How to Perform Rope Bondage from Educational Sex Series (dot) com. It made a difference for me to see how an experienced rigger tied up a willing submissive. So when Controlling Interest reaches the point where Tor ties Mouse up, I was able to really get into the experience from the perspective of the binder and the bindee. I think the scene turned out really hot. At least, I hope so. Let me know what you think!

Blurb for Controlling Interest:

Mozelle “Mouse” Vincent inherits money, a club and her boss’ son as a business partner when society leader Regine Stuart dies. Torin Stuart knows what his late mother’s wishes were for his exclusive BDSM club, Erotically Bound, but he’s pissed that he’s forced to trust Mouse—especially when her inherently submissive nature arouses the sexual Dominant in him.

After baring all in a heated, intense scene, Mouse realizes they still have to work together, but now Tor challenges any business suggestion she makes. When she wants to offer education classes, Tor dares her to organize the class and participate—as a submissive.

To his chagrin, Mouse agrees, but he can’t stand the thought of any other Dom touching her. Suddenly there’s far more at stake than the controlling interest in their club…because love is the ultimate prize in their power exchange.


5 comments:

Katalina Leon said...

I love the "Knotty Boys" the art of kinbaku is definitely hot!
XXOO Kat

Katalina Leon said...

Whoops-half my comment didn't post!
Francesca this story sounds adventurous and wonderful!
XXOO

Delphine Dryden said...

Yay, the Knotty boys are awesome. My latest book also has a lot of shibari (it's mostly shibari) and I got some fantastic ideas from their book. Your book is really a treat, Francesca, I loved Mouse's journey.

Marilu Mann said...

Isn't it interesting how we "Trend" these things? All Tied Up (our Merry Kinkmas story) is all about Shibari! :)

I read Mistress Midori's book for research purposes as well! :)

Kathy Kulig said...

Sounds cool Francesca. I'll have to check out that video. I'm reading your book now and looove it. Can't wait to get to the rope bondage scene. Knots: Aren't just for Boy Scouts anymore. :)